A quirky fall candy to try!
By Sydni Wolpert, Staff Writer and Artist
Candied oranges are a cheap and easy candy to make on your stovetop. The results are surprisingly delicious, ending with an edible peel that compares to a fruit snack. I loosely followed the recipe from “Baked By an Introvert.”
Here are the ingredients you will need:
- 4 small oranges (or 3 big ones)
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- Slice the oranges about ¼ of an inch thick.
- Combine with water and bring orange slices to boil in a pot. Boil for 5 minutes to bring the bitterness out of the peel.
- Fill a medium saucepan with water, and add the sugar. Bring to a boil until the sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally.
- Turn heat to simmer, and transfer orange peels to the saucepan (discard pot water). Simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, frequently turning the orange slices with tongs.
- Simmer until orange slices are translucent and the water has reduced significantly. Transfer orange slices to the cooling rack.
- Once cool, dip in sugar and serve. I found it was easier to eat the slices when they had been cut into smaller pieces.