Developing a fever on campus leads to an unprecedented experience these days.

By Sydni Wolpert

Hardy Hall, the oldest dorm on Huntington University’s campus, has always been a talking point for HU students. Whether it be the vibrant community in years past or the lack thereof this year, Foresters note the energy that the building brings to campus. 

Anyone who has ever lived in or visited Hardy Hall knows that the atmosphere of the building can be characterized as loud, warm and inviting. Back in the spring, dedicated “Hardy girls” were heartbroken at the news of the dormitory’s closing due to HUB construction. They pushed back and prayed that the decision would be overturned so that they could continue to stay in the building. Nowadays, nobody wants to be placed in a Hardy room. The long-cherished residence hall is pretty quiet these days.

A week or so ago, I began to get sick. Thinking it was just a light cold, I went and got a free coronavirus test in town and stayed in my dorm room in Meadows, hoping to feel better soon. I got sicker and developed a fever, which resulted in a call to my Resident Director, who gave me the option: go home, or stay in Hardy until my coronavirus test came back. If I went home, my family wouldn’t be able to go into work, so I decided to bite the bullet, pack up enough clothes for two weeks, and move into Hardy. 

As a former Hardy girl myself, staying in the nearly-empty building was eerie. I spent four days by myself on an empty floor, my social interactions limited to sometimes catching the person that brought dinner and some friends singing some late-night Christmas carols outside my window. I never saw anyone else staying in the building but assumed there were one or two people above me due to the amount of food the meal delivery person was carrying. 

Luckily, my COVID-19 test results came back negative, and I began to feel better by the last day. I was very relieved; staying in the building for another two weeks was not appealing. Spending four days in quarantine alone was very lonely and extremely strange. Seeing other HU students going about their days outside while I “zoomed” into classes was definitely not something I’d like to repeat. The second I got my COVID test back, I packed all my things and got out of there!

To any HU student who is staying in Hardy right now: you are still a part of campus, you are not alone and you can get through it!