For 9 servings, Yields 18
For Pastry Crust:
- 1 pound(s) pastry flour
- 1/2 tablespoon(s) sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 pound(s) Margarine, cold
- 1/4 pound(s) shortening, cold
- 3/4 cup(s) cold water
To Make Coconut Filling:
- 1 large dry coconut, grated (4 cups)
- 1/2 cup(s) dark sugar
- 1 tablespoon(s) flour
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 6 tablespoon(s) water
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla essence
- Place flour in a large bowl, add sugar and salt and mix well.
- Shred the cold margarine and shortening, add to the flour and rub in until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Add cold water to the flour mixture and gently mix to form a pastry dough. Do not knead. Cover the pastry and place in the refrigerator to relax for about 15-18 minutes.
- Lightly dust the work surface with flour. Remove pastry from the refrigerator and place on the floured work surface. Use a lightly floured rolling pin to roll out pastry.l
- Use a 3 1/2″-4″ cutter to cut rolled pastry into circles. Crimp the edge using the thumb of one hand and the thumb and forefinger of the other hand.
- Place on a cookie sheet, fill each with about three tablespoons coconut mixture and bake in a preheated oven 200°C (400°F) for 15-20 minutes.To Make Coconut Filling:
- Combine grated coconut, dark sugar, flour, cinnamon powder and salt in a pot and mix well.
- Combine water and vanilla and add to coconut mixture; mix well.
- Place over medium heat and boil for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from flame and allow to cool.
Use to fill pastry shells; and then return to oven for a further five minutes.
Preparation time: 1h 30m
Cooking time: 30m
Waiting time: 15m